Home>Guide>Tibet Travel Permits

Tibet Travel Permits

There are two kinds of permits issued for traveling in Tibet: Tibet Entry Permit (TTB permit) and the Aliens' Travel Permit (PSB permit).

Tibet Entry Permit

To start your trip to Tibet, you must get the first permit to get in to Tibet no matter how many or how less places you want to visit, and whatever how long or how short you want to stay in Tibet. This kind of permit is Tibet entry permit, but it is not only for the entry in to Tibet. With which you can also travel to some places within its power limit.

Tibet Entry Permit

When you fly into Lhasa you will need to show this permit when checking in at the airport. Also, in order to buy a flight to Lhasa in the first place you will need to show this permit.

Before further explanation tourists must have the followings in mind.

It is compulsory for foreign tourists, but China's citizens do not need that.

Tibet travel permit cannot be bought without a tour, because it is travel permitted document. Any purchase or selling of it without a tour is a kind of illegal action, which will take you to risk your stay because you may be checked with by the police.

It is issued NOT only by Tibet Tourism Bureau but by a few government offices as well.

Besides the full information on your passport, any untrue identity supplied by you will take the risk of refusal for Tibet permit, and your plan to Tibet will be spoiled.

It can NOT be obtained if tourists apply directly with government offices without some appointed agents like Chongqing Meiya Travel International Travel Service Co., Ltd.

Please note that we never SELL a permit. We only help you obtain a permit from the local authorities. As mentioned above, the cost of a permit includes the government charges and the Meiya Travel service fee. The cost will be included in your tour package quotation.

Aliens' Travel Permit

If you want to visit "restricted" areas in Tibet, you will need an Aliens' Travel Permit issued by the PSB (Public Security Bureau) of Tibet. The Aliens' Travel Permit is also sometimes referred to as the PSB permit.

Aliens' Travel Permit

How to get the travel permits?

Because we are a LOCAL travel agency, we can easily obtain travel permits on your behalf. Simply send us the following information:

1) Your full name;

2) Your gender;

3) Your date of birth;

4) Your passport number;

5) Your nationality

6) A scaned copy of your Passport;

7) A scaned copy of your China visa (tourist visa);

All information must be exactly the same as in your passport. In addition, we will need to know your occupation, as journalists and government officials/political personnel may require more complicated procedures in order to be issued a permit. Please be advised that you need to apply for the travel permit at least 15 days prior to your entry date. Also note that if you do not book a tour with Meiya Travel, we can not help you get a permit.

Other Important Issues about Travel Permits

1. Tibet travel permits may be acquired through a travel agency, except by the following groups of people: diplomats, journalists, and government officials; People falling within these categories need to contact the Foreign Affairs Office of the Tibetan Government in order to arrange a permit.

2. After you have got a Tibet travel permit, a travel agency can buy you the air tickets, and only with the permit in hand can you pass the airport check-in counter.

3. Once in Tibet, your tour guide is required to retain your permit. You may not carry it by yourself, or travel within Tibet with it in your possession. The Aliens' Travel Permit is required for travel outside of Lhasa. If you attempt to travel outside of Lhasa with only a Tibet Entry Permit and are stopped by the police, you will be sent out of Tibet, and could face legal difficulties. Furthermore, the travel agency which helped you acquire the permit could also face sanctions.

Do not trust a travel agency that offers to sell you a Tibet travel permit without requiring you to book a tour. No legitimate travel agency will offer "permit-only" service. Avoid wasting your money, as this is almost certainly a scam.